As many of you know, I absolutely love cooking. I also absolutely love brunch. Dating someone who enjoys cooking as much (I would argue even more) as I do has made things even more exciting because some of our best dates have happened in the kitchen over great food and even better conversation.
This past weekend, after spending the bulk of it doing nothing but resting, binging Mr. Robot, and making several lazy coffee runs followed by more lazy snuggling (I needed it, you guys, I needed it) — we were inspired by a Sunday morning email from the folks at Yummly to tackle a french toast recipe with a twist! D knows how much I love Hawaii, so when he saw the name of the recipe King’s Hawaiian French Toast he pointed it out immediately and I squealed about how much I’d been craving french toast and the rest was history.
What followed was a trip to the grocery store and a delicious brunch adventure in the kitchen. The end result? The most amazing meal and the honor of being Recipe of the Month – with our own special (and optional) twist!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Bread of your choice – we can’t score King’s Hawaiian Bread here so we picked up a french loaf instead that was perfect!
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- Powered sugar (not pictured as we forgot to grab some) to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Maple Syrup (optional)
For the D & C added Twist:
- 1 cup of Granola
- 1 cup of Vanilla Greek Yogurt
Now, to get started:
1. Cut your bread crosswise to get large pieces, about one inch thick. Set aside.
2. In your mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, cinnamon, vanilla and milk.
3. Dip your bread into the mixture (we used a shallow pie plate for easy dipping and flipping) and place in a greased frying pan. Cook until both sides are perfectly golden!
4. Take a minute to enjoy how amazing your kitchen smells – trust me on this one. This breakfast will have your mouth watering before you’ve even sat down to eat.
5. In a dish, mix your granola and yogurt together.
6. Stack your french toast on your plate, add a scoop of the yogurt mixture to the top of your toast and drizzle with as much Maple Syrup as your heart desires.
Honestly, this recipe was so delicious and so easy – I’m going to want it every weekend now. Go make it for yourself and come back to let me know how amazing it was! And a huge thank you to D who did all the cooking and hand modelling while I did all the documenting on Snapchat ;)