And I’m pretty sure I need to haul ass to the bookstore and pick up the sequel Inked Armor stat.
I mentioned earlier in the summer that Clipped Wings and Inked Armor were originally fanfic (as all amazing books I read these days once were.) It had been a long time since I first read the fic, so while much of the story line was still fresh in my memory, reading Clipped Wings had me experiencing much of it for the first time all over again.
As with most great fic to published novels, they’re adapted, they’re tweaked, perfected and polished – Clipped Wings is no exception.
And I loved every second of it.
Both Tenley and Hayden (can we talk about how much I love their names?) have demons. Dark pasts, unsettling nightmares, every reason in the world to not let themselves get too close to anyone else. Tenley, desperate to heal from her past in the form of an exquisite and detailed back tattoo, finds herself at Inked Armor, the tattoo parlor owned by Hayden and co.
Do you see where I’m going with this?
From their first meeting, the sexual tension and attraction is palpable. And if you’re into guys with tattoos and piercings – you will absolutely love Hayden.
And even if you’re not (like myself), you’re shit out of luck because he’s so great and perfect, you’re still going to be into Hayden, this is win-win. And his hair? A hot tousled mess. You’re welcome.
Though Tenley is like a scared kitten around Hayden, she slowly finds herself drawn to him and unable to think of anything but him. Refusing to let anyone else tattoo her, Hayden insists on being the one to bring her art work to life on her skin, there’s only one small problem: his long standing rule not to get involved with clients.
Five solid reasons why you will love this book:
1. Breaking rules is hot. What? Should I have said spoiler alert? This is a romance novel — OF COURSE they break that rule.
2. TK. Remember I said Hayden is perfect? Just imagine perfect AND a kitten. Enter TK “the kitten” a small kitten they rescue together that goes to live with Tenley but ultimately grows attached to them both. Bonus: she’s a polydactyl cat like my cat. I legit called mine “TK” as a nickname for a solid 6 months after I first read the fic.
3. Cupcakes. Much of the storyline in Clipped Wings revolves around cupcakes. Tenley is a baking pro. And there’s nothing funner than a good sex scene in the kitchen and with frosting. And nothing hotter than a hot man + kittens + that loves cupcakes. The end.
4. The Perfect Angst. If you tend to stay away from heavy angst/drama, but do love some degree of angst – this is the book for you. It’s hard to believe both of these characters are still standing given what they’re gone through. Tenley, especially and literally. But it’s their relationship and ability to calm the other that really gives you the feels when reading.
5. The Perfect Smut. I swear, I really do read some books that aren’t so heavy on the sex. But this isn’t the time or place to talk about those. Clipped Wings delivers the perfect dose of sex and romance. While many romance novels these days can’t go a chapter without some moans, groans, and let’s just be real here – mention of an erection – Clipped Wings delivers the absolute perfect dose. Enough to leave you hot and bothered for the rest of your day, but not enough to cause you to forget about the characters feelings outside of the bedroom all together.
Trust me: you will be thinking about this book long after you’re done.
And then come back and tell me how much you loved it and give the author some love @helenahunting!
Have you already read Clipped Wings? Tell me all your thoughts in the comments below!
x C x
Author’s Note: Want some more book recommendations? Check out my Books in my Beach Bag this Summer post and come back this Saturday when I review A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams. Spoiler Alert: I DEVOURED it in one sitting.
Fangirl’s Note: Tomorrow morning we get the 50 Shades of Grey Trailer on the Today Show. Expect serious, uncontrollable fingerling on here tomorrow night.